Monday, September 12, 2011

56 FQ`s on the wall, if one of those FQ happen to fall


I made a mistake and opened a Kim Diehl book Simple Graces and saw this gorgeous quilt. So taking a little itty bitty break from applique I started cutting FQ`s till I had enough to make it. This was only since Thursday. I can`t believe how much I got done!

This gave me a chance to dip into the FQ`s I have been buying and not done anything with.(a 20 year collection) I know I will be making another one of these. Each block that gets pieced I love. and no matter what fabric is used it is just the value that makes the difference. I really love how it is  turing out. The sashings are with the squares that are in between the blocks and also there will be 2 rows of the blocks on the outside. I have made it bigger than what has been printed to fit my queen. Yes it is going to be mine, all mine..LOL. There will be a simple dark binding for it no prairie points for a change.

You wouldn`t know it but I just love very scrappy quilts and have the scraps but not the quilts to prove it. so this is very exciting to me. I have already decided that I will be quilting my favorite pattern on it the Baptist Fan and I am going to quilt this as a winter project.

The picture above is the start of a fantastic quilt show that I went to this weekend in Bobcaygeon Ontario Canada. I will post more pictures in the next post. I loved the Walking stick post. In the background is the first place I hit. That is were the members bring stuff from their needlework sanctuary to sell. I got loads of mags with great incentive.
This was a monster sampler that I just loved I did get another picture from the other side as well. isn`t it just great!!

I will say one thing when you go to a quilt show you are never alone. Quilters are so friendly and I met the best lady when I was there. We exchanged numbers at the end but we saw most of the show together and had coffee and had a wonderful chat about everything and anything it was like we had known each other for years....LOL
I also met some online girls that belong to the Canadian Quilters Yahoo group and they were a hoot too.

This was the perfect weekend weather wise I could have driven all over Ontario it is finally coming to the season that I love.

17 comments:

  1. Really love your scrappy quilt too! Looks like it will be one of those great snuggly quilts that will be so enjoyed. Are you going to hand quilt it? -Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt. I just may have to pull Kim's book out and take another look. Sounds like the quilt show was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Scrappy Quilt is looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stars in the churn dashes - or hole in the barn door - whichever name you prefer. How clever. I really like the sashing, and all the scrappiness. The Monster quilt is awesome as well. I can't manage to quilt fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Kim Diehl's books too. What you've done is just a few days is amazing. I love it. Churd dash is one of my favorite classic blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "Pie in the Sky" quilt is beautiful! What a fun, scrappy quilt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that certainly is a monster sampler! What an interesting variation on the Churn Dash block, and a good way to use up a motley collection of fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love scrappy quilt and the block in your one is great. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way your current quilt is coming along! I agree - the values makes such a difference but great fabrics help. You must have quite a stash. The quilt will be really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - you've been busy, and it looks great!

    Are you going to a quilt show this weekend? 'Cuz I am. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I need to go buy more fabric! Your quilt looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, i just saw something that represents very much of our culture. Just FYI, i am a Sindhi, and Sindhis are believed to be oldest living and known civilization on earth.

    This patch work reminds me of our cultural patch work called "Rilli" or say "Sindhi Rilli".

    You can watch this video about this type of patch work, maybe you find any interest in it, http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/sindhi+patchwork

    ReplyDelete
  13. your quilt looks fantastic,well done

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love scrappy quilts too! thanks now I am going to have to get her books out and may just have to whip this one up too!!!!
    looks wonderful!
    Kathie
    ps I LOVE that sampler quilt, I have never made one yet but am very tempted!
    thanks for sharing quilt show pictures for me its always fun to see what others on working on .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I certainly like your new scrappy quilt. Great fabrics.
    I like scrappy quilts but I don't like cutting so many different fabrics. I know I am weird.lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work on your quilt . I am just doing some blog hopping and thought I would drop in say hi, I see that you are doing this years Chookyblues Secret Santa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, great blocks! I love Kim's books too, many projects that are calling to me. I'm working on Churn Dash blocks using different neutral background fabrics(inspired by Kim) instead of a solid cream for every block.

    ReplyDelete

visitors with a spare moment said...